Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tear It Up - Nothing To Nothing


I've said it before and I'll say it again here: Tear It Up are currently the best hardcore band on the planet, and by releasing Nothing To Nothing they have bumped themselves from the top of the "best current bands" list and onto the "best bands of all time" list. No, I'm no joking.

My reaction when I first heard this record was something along the lines of "holy mother ~censored~ ~love~!" Unlike their first CD (which was merely a compilation of past releases), this isn't a record that sounds like good but derivative hardcore at first then gradually reveals its true self over multiple listens. No, Nothing To Nothing rages from the second you put it on. Why? Because it's a hardcore album. Of course hardcore bands release full-length records every day, but Nothing To Nothing is the first one I've heard in years on which the band seemed to have put some thought into things like pacing and track sequencing, making it not just an album-length collection of songs but a bonafide album.

Tear It Up is the best hardcore band that has existed during my show-going, album-consuming lifetime. Nothing To Nothing is the best record to come out in at least ten years, and if you like hardcore at all then you have to have this record. These are bold statements, but they are not lies. This record will rock your puny, pathetic little world. Long live Tear It Up.--deepfrybonanza


Genre: Hardcore
Year: 2002


Tracklist:

01. Don't Call Me Tonight
02. No One Gets In
03. frat boys
04.. No They Don't Wash Off
05. Play To Destroy
06. You Make Me Hate You
07. From Nothing To Nothing
08. Close My Eyes And Hope For The Worst
09. Shit
10. Intermission
11. Fortified
12. I Don't Need To Be Saved
13. Trust Me I Don't Forget
14. Not This Time
15. Live Fast, Die Punk
16. Furious And Alone
17. The Cause
18. it's The End


download

1 comment:

H. said...

OK, this intervention of mine is not going to change anything, but I just wanted to say that I agree with every single word you typed there.
Tear It Up is the best band ever, and this record ... wow...